Friday, November 12, 2010

Five Day Deadline

It's hilarious I'm even trying this.

I found an online literary journal that is brand new. They don't have money, they won't ever go print and they will probably shut down after this issue, or just get bored and bail on it. Still, though, their submission deadline is the 15th, and the wordcount is 1500, and for some odd reason I really want to submit/publish with them.
They don't pay you. They make a T-shirt based off your shirt.
Despite me struggling to even eat these days, I still think that's pretty rad.

I found this out on the 9th, and started writing the story on the 10th. The story is wholly inspired by the literary journals name, an instant construction of plot simply by their title.
This isn't good, seeing as their title is the very climax of my story. Also, I feel like that is very cheesy, and they will probably look at it the wrong way. Still, though, the story in my mind should be able to fit in under 1500 words, and this is probably the first time that has ever happened.

But I'm losing it. I managed to write 400 words over the past three days, which may make it seem like little, except I'm writing this completely off the computer (Except, unlike the assignments I've done for class, I'm actually trying to do this professionally and accurately, in a real, pure showing of my "craft," which I don't have) and they weren't too bad...
Except I'm stuck, and now I have only two days to write this. The worst part is I'm now completely doubting the structure of the story, and the way I've lead it.
Actually, I'm not doubting. It's bad, 100%.
So now I have two days to write 1500 words, and to, somehow, mentally re-calibrate the plot. The story is still the same, plot the same, characters the same, actions the same.
It's my style used for the story that has to change... which is, essentially, re-doing all of this.

Even worse is that I had intended, in my mind, to use this story as the workshop. Yes, it would be too late for me to make edits in time for this submission, but, seeing as I doubt they'll publish me anyway, I was hoping that, in the future, I could use this story for other 1,500 words or less submissions (Which there are, surprisingly, a lot of).
But who knows? Will I finish it in time for the deadline? Doubtful. Will I finish it in time for workshop? Doubtful.

Well, the actual worst, worst part about this is, seeing as I'm not 21 and have to have people go out and get alcohol for me, I gave somebody 20 dollars to get me two twelves of PBR, or, if they didn't have that, a 30 pack of beer.
They got me a 30 pack of Busch LIGHT. What the fuck do they think I do, play beer bong by myself? So now the only beer I have to drink alongside writing is light beer, which is essentially water, entirely tasteless and absolutely does nothing for my head.

Terrible.
Even more terrible is I chose getting that 30 and a carton of cigarettes rather than;
1. Paying the money I still owe the IRS from Taxes
2. Paying my "terrorist" charges to Toms River Court Houses
3. Paying off the settlement Financial Aid sent me because I dropped my one course (And am failing another!).
4. Buying food for the week.


I don't need a nicotine patch, Penny. I smoke cigarettes. Stranger than Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment